Here is an interesting twist to your everyday chili.
SWEET POTATO & BLACK BEAN
Serves: 4 | Difficulty Level: 1 (of 5) | Prep Time: 25 Minutes | Ready In: 40 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cans (15-ounce) black beans, rinsed
- 1 can (14-ounce) diced tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add sweet potato and onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion is beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle, and salt and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
- Add water and bring to a simmer.
- Cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the sweet potato is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes and lime juice; increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often.
- Reduce heat and simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
Fresh homemade cornbread will make this meal complete!
I cut down on the lime juice in the recipe and serve with a wedge of lime.