KitchenAid Stand Mixer - Choosing Accessories
Owning a KitchenAid stand mixer is considered by many to be one of the defining requirements of an “official” home kitchen. The quality, usefulness, and durability of KitchenAid’s stand mixers are among the best in the industry, and although the price of admission to the KitchenAid owner’s club can be a bit intimidating, it is universally regarded as being well worth the investment.
Once you have purchased your mixer, the next step is deciding which attachments you are going to buy to expand its functionality. The KitchenAid Stand Mixer is one of the most versatile pieces of equipment that you can buy for your kitchen, and while its prowess in the mixing and baking department is taken for granted at this point, the often overlooked attachment hub on the front of the mixer offers the potential to turn your KitchenAid into a truly everyday appliance. However, KitchenAid’s renowned level of quality does come at a bit of a price, and with the number of different accessories and attachments available for your mixer numbering easily into the tens, those on a more limited budget are going to have to be more selective about their accessories line up. But by tailoring your accessory selection to your most common cooking and baking tasks, the upfront investment will undoubtedly prove to be well worth it in the long run. Here are a few ways to outfit your KitchenAid Stand Mixer to best suit your most frequent needs.
- 11-Wire Whip Attachment: Increases the whisking capacity of your mixer significantly. The additional wires on the whip allow for maximum air incorporation and speeds up the mixing time.
- Flex Edge Beater Attachment: Standard flat beater with one spatula-style rubber edge. Improves the scraping performance of your mixer, ensuring that as few ingredients as possible are left clinging to the side of the mixing bowl and speeding up the ingredient incorporation process.
- Pour Guard: Doubles as a splatter guard and easy pour funnel. The see-through, circumferential splatter guard prevents batter and other ingredients from escaping the bowl during more vigorous mixing while the built-in pouring funnel allows the mixed contents of the bowl to be easily poured without the need to remove the splatter guard. Attaches to standard mixing bowl.
- Glass Mixing Bowl: Five quart glass mixing bowl that locks into stand mixer’s base. Ideal for recipes that require a standing or refrigeration period after mixing. The attached pouring spout and handle make pouring from the glass mixing bowl easy. Includes a snap-on lid for safe and easy storage.
- Burnished Accessories: For heavier batters, consider upgrading to burnished mixing attachments. Burnished attachments are highly polished, giving them an extra smooth surface that reduces sticking and expedites the mixing process.
- Ice Cream Maker Attachment: The KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment turns your stand mixer into a quick and easy to use ice cream maker. This attachment is made up of two parts: the freeze bowl and dasher mixer attachment (each sold separately). To use the ice cream maker, simply chill the freeze bowl in the freezer for a minimum of 15 hours and prepare your ice cream batter. Once the freeze bowl is properly chilled, assemble and engage the freeze bowl, dasher, and drive assembly, add your batter, and watch as your KitchenAid stand mixer mixes up the perfect batch of homemade ice cream or sorbet. Solid ingredients can be added to the batter to be mixed in once the ice cream begins to solidify.
Food Processing:KitchenAid offers a number of food processing and meat grinding accessories to be used with the hub attachment located on the front of the mixer. Simply remove the KitchenAid logo cover, plug in your accessory of choice, and your KitchenAid is now a full-fledged food slicer, chopper, or grinder.
- Food Grinder Attachment: The KitchenAid Food Grinder is the perfect way to grind meats, firm fruits, vegetables, dry breads, and even cheese. Simply attach the grinder to the front of your KitchenAid and feed the food in from the food tray above the grinding mechanism. Comes with course and fine grinder plates for a wide variety of applications, as well as a plastic stomper to push food into the grinding tube. With the addition of the KitchenAid’s sausage stuffer kit, the food grinder attachment effortlessly becomes a sausage stuffing mechanism for your ground meats (or vegetarian substitute).
- Roto Slicer: KitchenAid’s Roto Slicer attachment makes quick work of slicing up your fruits, vegetables, or cheeses. Simply feed your produce into the top of the slicer, and the rotating slicer cone will take care of the rest. Sliced ingredients fall from the front of the attachment, and the open, front-facing design makes it easy to retrieve stubborn or trapped pieces. Includes 2 slicer cones for thick or thin slices, as well as 2 shredder cones for course or fine shreds.
- Fruit & Vegetable Strainer & Grinder: This attachment comes complete with the KitchenAid food grinder attachment, but the fruit and vegetable strainer addition can be bought separately if you already own the grinder. In conjunction with the grinder, the fruit and vegetable strainer attachment enables your KitchenAid stand mixer to quickly and easily puree and strain fruits and vegetables. Food is fed into the grinder in the fashion explained above, where it is ground and mashed by the strainer cover. The juice from your fruits and vegetables drains from the back of the strainer’s specialized grinder cover, while the pureed fruit mass is ejected from the front of the attachment to be discarded or collected for another use. This attachment should be used only with soft or cooked foods.
- Grain Mill Attachment: The all metal grain mill attachment grinds up low-moisture grains such as wheat, corn, and rice. This simple to use attachment is adjustable from “cracked” to extra-fine consistency and includes a custom cleaning brush for easy cleaning. Perfect for freshly milling grains to add to recipes or for grinding your own flour to add a rustic, hearty taste and texture to your homemade bread and other baked goods.
- Citrus Juicer Attachment: The KitchenAid citrus juicer attachment makes quick work of juicing your citrus fruits. Simply attach the juicer to the attachment hub of your stand mixer, cut your citrus fruits in half, and let the spinning reamer do the squeezing for you. Includes a removable strainer to help trap any unwanted pulp.
Pasta:In addition to tools for preparing fruits and vegetables, KitchenAid also offers a collection of pasta preparation attachments that will have you creating scratch-made pasta dishes in no time. For the die-hard pasta cooker, KitchenAid’s Pasta Excellence Kit comes with everything that you will need to prepare a variety of pasta types. However, if the upfront investment of the Pasta Excellence Kit is too much for your attachment budget, each pasta attachment can be bought separately according to your needs.
- Pasta Roller Attachment: This attachment allows you to easily roll homemade pasta dough into sheets for delicious scratch-made lasagna or fettuccini noodles. The roller creates 6” wide sheets of dough and features 9 settings that allow you to adjust the thickness of the dough. Comes with a cleaning brush for easy cleaning.
- Pasta Cutter Attachment: These pasta cutter attachments are specifically designed to cuts sheets of dough from the KitchenAid pasta roller and quickly cut them into individual noodles. The pasta cutter is available with a variety of blade arrangements for creating different types of noodles, and comes with a cleaning brush for easy cleaning. When paired with the KitchenAid pasta roller attachment, these pasta cutters take the guesswork and tedium out of creating fresh, handmade noodles for your pasta recipes.
- Ravioli Maker Attachment: The ravioli attachment turns an otherwise time-consuming and meticulous job into an easy and hassle-free task. This hand-operated attachment attaches easily to your stand mixer’s attachment hub, and incudes a specialized filling scoop for spreading and filling the corners of the hopper with your ravioli filling. To operate, simply lay your pre-rolled ravioli dough into the ravioli maker, spread in your filling, and crank the dough through to create a grid of perfect large-pocket ravioli noodles every time. Cleaning brush included for easy cleaning.
- Pasta Press Attachment: This attachment can be used to create fresh spaghetti, bucatini, rigatoni, fusilli, or macaroni noodles. Simply select which pasta plate you would like to use, insert it into the attachment, feed balls of dough into the top, and your KitchenAid stand mixer will take care of the rest. The built-in wire pasta knife allows the pasta to be easily cut when the desired noodle length is achieved. With the KitchenAid pasta press attachment, you can effortlessly create all sorts of cylindrical pastas in a matter of minutes