If you are going to be making a main entree for your family this Christmas, then having a great Southern Deep Fried Ham will be a temptation none can pass up. The following recipe is a great recipe for true Southern Deep Fried Ham :
1. ALWAYS operate your turkey fryer outside in the open and NEVER under an overhang or in your garage. Always monitor the oil temperature until you are done. Never walk away and leave it unattended.Please be careful due to the fact that hams are full of water. Once seared, it will be sealed. Always lower in the oil slowly. Please see the link to our website for frying turkeys for further safety instructions.We here at J.E.S. have all your holiday cooking needs covered.
2. Thaw your ham completely.
3. Place the ham in your perforated turkey fryer basket and drop it in your pot.
4. Now fill the pot with water until it covers the ham.
5. Remove the basket with the ham in it while draining all the water back into the pot and mark the water level. This will now be the spot you use for your oil level.
6. Drain all the water out of the pot and dry.
7. Fill your pot with the oil to where you marked it.
8. Inject your marinade into several places throughout the ham and again, pat completely dry. If you have a rub, now is when you would apply it to the outside of your ham. ( It’s ideal to inject the ham 24 hours in advance to allow the marinade to saturate the meat and increase the flavor of the meat )
9. Bring your oil temperature up to 375 degrees.
10. Now place your ham into your perforated turkey fryer basket and slowly lower the basket containing your ham into the oil while wearing a long sleeve shirt and construction gloves for protection. This process can take up to 2 minutes to lower to avoid the oil boiling over the top of the pot.
11. Place your turkey fryer thermometer into the oil and constantly monitor the temperature maintaining 350 degree. Place the lid on the pot slightly ajar to allow the thermometer to stay in the oil.
12. Cook for 3 ½ minutes per pound. Your ham will be done when the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees measured is several places with a meat thermometer.
13. Turn off your gas removing the heat source. Remove the basket and let the oil drain back into the pot. Place the ham in an aluminum pan and let cool for 15 minutes.
14. Now share your masterpiece with your friends and neighbors.
Subscribe to our Blog